Lookism is a synonym of cacophobia, but without a psychiatric context. Lookism against people who have an extreme aesthetic appearance or are disfigured is sometimes called ableism or teratophobia. Popular forums dedicated to lookism are lookism.net and looksmax.me. Most humans are naturally extremely lookist.
For example people associate aesthetic appearance with all sorts of positive qualities (halo effect). People assume beauty strongly predicts ability and health, but in truth these correlations are quite weak.
Incels sometimes self-obsess over their appearance as most dating is moving online, and online men who are average or ugly get almost no luck on these sites. It is simply brutal lookism that keeps them from getting any matches.
Lookism and narcissism[edit | edit source]
In an increasingly lookist dating world, the only way to succeed is through vanity and narcissism. One can see incels as being forced to become vain to attract a partner in modern dating.
Looks are necessary to the formation of physical or romantic desire[edit | edit source]
As summarized in the blackpill article, women actually care a lot about men's looks. Women place a minimum threshold of attractiveness on potential mates. Women also lie about the degree of importance of physical attractiveness. One could begin to bargain that while looks matter, other factors matter too. One's full attractiveness could be seen as a composite score of their attractive features. Sadly, Looks were the only factor to predict interest in speed dating. Attractiveness and masculinity also predicts a woman's chance of orgasm. Looks are highly heritable as well.
It is commonly assumed looks would only play a role in short-term partnerships, and that personality matters more in a long-term relationship. This is not the case.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ https://incels.wiki/w/Scientific_Blackpill#Attractive_people_are_perceived_much_more_positively_than_they_really_are
- ↑ https://qz.com/241479/okcupid-experimented-on-users-and-proved-everyone-just-looks-at-the-pictures/
- ↑ https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40806-017-0092-x
- ↑ https://www.livescience.com/58607-mens-looks-may-matter-more-than-personality.html
- ↑ https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2005-11095-001
- ↑ https://putslab.la.psu.edu/documents/Puts%20et%20al.%20EHB%202012-1.pdf
- ↑ https://www2.psy.uq.edu.au/~uqbziets/Mitchem%20et%20al%202013%20Estimating%20the%20sex-specific%20effects%20of%20genes%20on%20facial%20attractiveness%20and%20sexual%20dimorphism.pdf
- ↑ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22468419