Some forms of looksmaxxing are mild (such as getting a haircut, using minoxidil and grooming eyebrows), however there are also more extreme forms of looksmaxxing such as plastic surgery and using anabolic steroids.
In the looksmaxxing community, having a lean body and a full head of hair are considered the most crucial features to look good as a male. Skin quality is another important trait and can be improved by fixing acne, increasing collagen or moderate tanning. As regards the facial bone structure, forward growth (opposed to the unattractive downward growth) is considered the key to have an attractive face. This feature can be improved with orthognatic surgery.
Softmaxxing is a subset of looksmaxxing that concerns non-invasive and cheap methods to improve one's looks. Examples of softmaxxing are:
- Dietary changes such as following a healthy diet and lifestyle, taking supplements, dieting to get lean etc.
- Working out in gym to get muscular, running, cycling etc. Various forms of physical activity aimed at improving one's body composition. (Lowering body fat percentage and increasing muscle mass).
- Preventing male-pattern hair loss with the anti-androgen drugs finasteride and/or dutasteride. Hair regrowth agents like minoxidil could also be included in this category. In extreme cases, some men experiencing hair loss even opt to take testosterone blocking drugs.
- Better grooming and style. Examples would be following a skincare routine, haircuts, styling facial hair and eyebrows, and wearing better fitting, higher quality clothing. One could also include anti-aging serums in this category, such as usage of retin-A (tretinoin) or various other substances/methods that have evidence for slowing, or purporting to slow collagen loss, such as dermarolling.
- Various methods of frauding natural features. Like wearing light color contacts, or increasing height with shoe lifts.
Hardcore Looksmaxing involves more invasive or hazardous methods of enhancing one's physical appearance. Examples would include:
- Injecting (or taking orally) Anabolic steroids to improve one's muscle building capacities far beyond what would be possible naturally.
- Other substances with anabolic effects or weight loss drugs. Such as the use of the bronchodilator clenbuterol to improve body composition, or the use of potentially dangerous stimulants like ephedrine for weight loss.
- Bleaching one's skin or using other chemicals to whiten one's skin.
- Various forms of plastic surgery: fillers, laser scar removal, botox etc.
Controversial looksmaxxing methodsEdit
In the Looksmaxxing community other less popular methods are also discussed, that many deride as pseudo-scientific or unproven, such as:
- Mewing, a practice that supposedly improves facial bones (such as the position of the maxilla) through adopting correct tongue posture.
- Bonesmashing, a practice that supposedly relies on Wolf's Law (that states that bones adapt to stress by becoming stronger) to improve bone structure. Basically striking yourself in the face in the belief that this will remould your facial bones.
- NoFap i.e. stopping masturbation for various purposes like improving brain receptors or improving the hormonal profile.
- The assumption that various over the counter supplements, like vitamin K in the MK4 form, can have dramatic effects like reshaping one's facial bones.
In looksmaxxing communities it is commonly argued that, much of the time, in order to ascend, ugly men need to undergo plastic surgeries. The least invasive surgeries are otoplasty, rhinoplasty and facial implants (often chin/jaw implants), which are able to fix minor facial flaws, however this might not be enough for men who have recessed facial bones: in these cases Maxillofacial surgery is often argued to be the only way to substantially improve their facial appearance.
Looksmaxxers discuss their methods in different forums
- PSL sites: Looksmax.me, Lookism.net (male only, Redpill)
- normie sites: r/PlasticSurgery, RealSelf.com (non-ideological)
- other sites: jawsurgeryforums.com, limblengtheningforum.com, hairlosstalk.com, forum.bodybuilding.com (focusing on a specific affliction)
Alternatives to LooksmaxxingEdit
In the incelosphere Looksmaxxing is the main form of Deincelization, however some users propose other ways to escape inceldom like Moneymaxxing and increasing social reputation (Status). More uncommonly, some advocate radical practices like trannymaxxing (i.e. becoming a male to female transgender)