Mewing is a controversial looksmaxxing technique that supposedly improves the bone structure of one's face by continuously pushing the tip of one's tongue and then later the entire underside of the tongue, against the roof of the mouth. The technique has become very popular on YouTube, Instagram and Reddit. The originator, orthodontist Michael Mew, proposed that this technique pushes the central bone of the face (the maxilla) forwards and upwards, improving the facial appearance. There is currently no sound scientific evidence of the effectiveness of the method.
Criticism[edit | edit source]
- In a letter in the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Mew was criticized: "Although Mew's theory does generate some plausible conclusions that can aid our profession in developing future surgical procedures, the public needs to be made aware that it is not based on sound scientific evidence that would make it a viable alternative treatment to orthognathic surgery." Further they note, "it is of vital importance that we educate our patients on the validated treatments for malocclusion and the danger of seeking non–peer-reviewed internet sources for health information in general."
- Mike Mew has been expelled from the British Orthodontic Society for misleading or potentially misleading the public having given medical advise without sound scientific backing.
- Facial structure is highly-heritable and there is no evidence for masticatory stress (e.g. a hard-substance chewed to increase saliva) being involved in secular trends in facial morphology.
John Mew takes it all back[edit | edit source]
In a Facebook post, Professor John Mew, inventor of the technique which bears his name, in response to a girl asking if mewing can move the facial bones in adults, answers that only maxillofacial surgery can advance facial bones in people over age 25.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ Lee, Urie K. et al. 2019. Mewing: Social Media's Alternative to Orthognathic Surgery? Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Volume 77, Issue 9, 1743 - 1744 [Abstract] [Discussion]
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/mar/21/mewing-youtube-face-shaping-trend-what-is-it-technique-explained
- ↑ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5289863/
- ↑ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5395823/
- ↑ https://arizona.openrepository.com/bitstream/handle/10150/288105/azu_td_6919258_sip1_m.pdf
- ↑ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17628252
- ↑ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21541933
- ↑ https://looksmax.org/attachments/adsdasasdasddas-png.340025