Definition of incel
This page outlines the definition of the umbrella term incel, which is an abbreviated from of involuntary celibacy, the latter of which has been used at least since the 18th century; it is also an abbreviation of involuntary celibate. This page also details some aspects of the word inceldom, a word which nowadays in the incelosphere designates the condition of being an incel, i.e. involuntary celibacy. There is no single definition or defined set of characteristics for both expressions ("incel" and "inceldom"), as those are up to debate.
Incel[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
From involuntary (in-vol-uhn-ter-ee) celibate (sel-uh-bit, -beyt). See etymology page for a more comprehensive elucidation.
Noun[edit | edit source]
Ton den Boon[edit | edit source]
According to Ton den Boon:
- (gender-neutral countable noun) someone who lives an involuntarily celibate life; an acronym of "involuntary celibate"
Adjective[edit | edit source]
The definition of incel as an adjective is:
- Being unable to form a sexual relationship despite wishing to.
Inceldom[edit | edit source]
Definition[edit | edit source]
Denise Donelly[edit | edit source]
Inferred from the Donnelly study, involuntary celibacy is:
- (gender-neutral countable noun) The state of being unable to form a sexual relationship despite wishing to for 6 months or more.
Antonyms[edit | edit source]
There are two antonyms of the word inceldom:
- Nonceldom: The state of being capable of forming a sexual relationship.
- Volceldom: The state of (volitionally) choosing to forgo all sexual relationships (usually as part of some ascetic or religious vow).
The term truecel is an antonym of the word gigachad.
Synonyms[edit | edit source]
See the synonyms of inceldom page for more information.
Hypernyms[edit | edit source]
The hypernym of the term inceldom is celibacy.
Hyponyms[edit | edit source]
There are several hyponyms of the term inceldom; these include mentalceldom, uglyceldom, love-shyness and ethniceldom.