Definition[edit | edit source]
Yaoi are art that depicts male homosexual relationships. There are three major classes of Yaoi:
- Boy's Love (AKA BL, Tanbi or "June") are the one that will be mainly discussed in this page. These are mainly marketed towards women. They are often depicted with:
- Men that are the ages between 20-35 (young adult)
- Has faces that are more or less strong Neoteny, with an ethnic balance in Facial masculinity, and lack of Uglycel)
- There is a Dominant-Submissive relation between the two men, often accompanied by Height (the dominant often is taller) and hair color (the submissive often has brown/dyed hair) difference. Typically, this is referred to in many fujoshi communities as a "seme" "uke" dynamic, where the "seme" may often exhibit traits of a more "masculine" Chad-like persona who often takes the dominant role in the relationship while the "uke" is typically depicted as the inherently submissive partner in the relationship and is in appearance typically an androgynous Pretty Boy with female readers usually self-inserting into the ladder. Bishōnen (which directly translates to "pretty boy") is a non-sexual sub-type of Yaoi primarily focused on romance between said youthful androgynous males.
- Shōnen-ai are depicted with Platonic relationships of adolescent boys, marketed towards adolescent boys.
- Bara are depicted with Gymmaxxed men, that are marketed towards Homosexual men.
Females and Yaoi Preference[edit | edit source]
According to Zsila et. al. there are three major reasons for western females liking Yaoi:
- Detachment from romance in favor of voyeurism
- Viewed as more "realistic" than traditional romance
- Reduced need of effort to be prudish (suppressing arousal)
Further research by Zhao & Madill derived further reasons for females liking Yaoi:
- There is a clear preference for clearly defined dominant-submissive relationships than "reversible" (egalitarian) relationship
- Dominance is masculine ("Black Heart", "King", "Loyal Dog"), Submissiveness is feminine ("Wife", "Tempter", "Natural")
- Asian Females prefer "Queens" whilst White Females prefer "Princesseses" as the Submissive they identify with
- Coincidently, Anglo Females are more likely prefer Feminization, Intercourse and Marriage, whilst Asian Females are more likely to be in favor of "Male Pregnancy" and "Pure" Romance
- this explains why half of the interviewees are in approval of "Heteronormative" relationships while others are on the fence
- this related to how Asian females are responsibility-oriented whilst Whites are more welfare-oriented
This would also imply that Yaoi, instead of being an Erotica, is more of a "Thymotica" (power fantasy story) through detachment from female responsibility in favor of projecting it into a man.
As a side note, Asian males considers male homosexuality a bigger taboo when compared with Asian females, but Asians of both sexes agrees that female homosexuality is a taboo (even though Asian male are slightly likely to favor "Yuri").
Further research is needed to identify the biological links between female Yaoi readers, and age or masculinization.